Off the Kentucky Bourbon Trail
is a review of things to do, places to stay
and honey holes to visit off the
Kentucky Bourbon Trail.
Bourbon on Mainby Jeremy Schell
Historic Frankfort Kentucky has more than just the capital of the Commonwealth since 1792, Frankfort is home to several of the most storied distilleries including Buffalo Trace and Castle & Key, as well as one of the most stunning capital buildings in the country. With all the things to do in Frankfort, you don’t have to go too far Off the Kentucky Bourbon Trail to find a great meal and premier bourbon selection.
Located overlooking the Kentucky River in downtown Frankfort, Bourbon on Main, is the dream of Frankfort natives who wanted to feature the beautiful Kentucky culture through food, cocktails, beer, and bourbon. Bourbon on Main features traditional pub-fare cuisine with a distinctive Kentucky twist, along with creative bourbon flights, and a variety of bourbons from all over the Commonwealth.
The food at Bourbon on Main may not be five-star but the presentation and flavor packs as much as the attitude it is created with and the naming of the plates is just the beginning. Start with the small plates and enjoy either the Deviled Eggs w/ Pork Belly ($7) or the Big Ass Fries w/ Dips and you’ll be set on your way for a fun mail. The big plates offer a variety of chicken, fish, or sandwich dishes including the Big Ass Bologna Sandwich ($11) or the Fried Fish Boi ($13). All of the dishes sound good but the specialty burgers are really the only way to go. The Spicy Burger ($13) includes bourbon braised pork belly and spicy beer cheese, or the Mushroom Burger ($13) with wild mushrooms and smoked gouda. Step it up with the Belly Swiss Burger ($13) with bourbon braised pork belly and swiss, or just go wild with the Quityerbitchin’ Burger ($13) which includes spicy beer cheese, birds eye chili, habanero, jalapeno, poblano, sambal chili paste, onions, wild mushrooms, garlic, and wine sauce.
Bourbon on Main features a variety of unique cocktails including their signature BOM Old Fashioned ($9) made with Buffalo Trace, Bourbon Tea ($8) featuring Ancient Age bourbon, Main Street Manhattan ($9) with Four Roses bourbon, and the Buffalo Sidecar ($9) made with Buffalo Trace. If bourbon flights are your focus, Bourbon on Main features a
Whether you’re looking for bourbon, rye, or barrel proof, Steak & Bourbon features a variety of bourbon flights uniquely selected to satisfy any bourbon lover. Eleven uniquely configured flights featuring ½ ounce and 1 ounce pour options, the flights are available daily on from 2pm – 5pm.
- Bourbon 101 – Buffalo Trace, Maker’s Mark, Bulleit Bourbon, and Jim Beam White Ghost ($10/$20)
- Bourbon 102 – EH Taylor small batch, Rock Hill single barrel, Buffalo Trace, and Ancient Age ($10/$20)
- If you can’t wheat ‘em, join ‘em – Wild Turkey 101, Weller 90, Larceny, and Bernheim wheat whiskey ($10/$20)
- The ryes have it – Stagg jr, Woodford Reserve, Four Roses Yellow, and Bulleit rye ($10/$20)
- Small but mighty – Jefferson’s Very Small Batch, Knob Creek Small Batch, Willet, and Woodford Reserve. ($10/$20)
- Put a ring on it – Evan Williams single barrel bourbon, Four Roses single barrel, and Jim Beam single barrel ($15/$30)
- High octane – Stagg jr., Bookers, Knob Creek single, Maker’s Mark Cask, and Old Grandad 114 ($15/$30)
- Is it really bourbon? – Garrison Brothers, Hudson Baby, Old Scout single barrel, and black saddle ($17/$33)
- The great heist – Van Winkle 10, Eagle Rare, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, and Stagg jr. ($20/$40)
- Get toasted – Jefferson’s Reserve (level 1), Rowan’s Creek (level 3), 1792 (level 4), and Jim Beam White Ghost (0) ($10/$20)
- Hop the pond – Mccallan 12, Tullamore Dew, Crown Royal, Jack Daniels, and Buffalo Trace ($15/$25)
You can also come join their weekly Bourbon Club meeting every Wednesday evening at 6pm. Participate in a bourbon class, blind tasting, or just hang out and enjoy a pour of bourbon with other enthusiasts.
If you’re craving an outstanding burger, a big ass bologna sandwich, or spicy pork belly deviled eggs, get Off the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, and visit the Bourbon on Main, located in historic downtown Frankfort, Kentucky.